Our mission is to provide a place where people can know God through worship and bible study, show God’s love through ministry and fellowship, and grow God’s kingdom through evangelism and personal growth.
Plymouth Church has been serving the communities of Raleigh, Garner, Fuquay Varina, and Willow Spring for 140 years.
We are a church that treasures its past, enjoys its present, and looks to the future. We are a loving community church with meaningful worship services that incorporate blended music and relevant messages from God’s Word.
At Plymouth, you are not a number. It is a place that you can get involved and make a difference. Come out this Sunday and experience the love of God in action at Plymouth Church!
- Located in Raleigh, North Carolina, Plymouth was founded July 1, 1883, to be where the gospel is proclaimed and God is worshipped. It was founded by Pastors Rev. W.H. Franks, Rev. J.P. Barrett, and Rev. D.F. Jones.
- For many years, services were held only once a month as it was customary for pastors to have multiple churches and travel to each in a rotation.
- The present church building was part of the original building. It was on the opposite side of the road, in front of the cemetery. It was just one large room.
- Lighting for the church was oil lamps hanging from the ceiling. Two wood stoves were used for heating; one was where the communion table currently sits.
- The first recorded baptism was held in 1921.
- In the 1930s, a room was added to each side to create Sunday school rooms, and a vestibule was added to the front of the building.
- In 1942, the church began having services twice a month. The church began having services every Sunday in July of 1968.
- Bathrooms were added to the church in 1971. The fellowship hall was built across the road and dedicated in October 1978.
- The church was remodeled in the summer of 1982. Stained glass windows were installed, and a steeple was placed on the church.
- In August 1986, the church was moved to its present location across the street. The was connected to the fellowship building by a covered walkway.
- The church built a baptistry in 1991; the first baptism was held on September 1, 1991. In addition, the walkway was enclosed.
- Hurricane Fran blew the steeple of the church in September 1996.
- Plymouth joined the Raleigh Baptist Association on May 21, 2000.
- In 2008, the sanctuary was renovated, and the right side opened up for more seating.
- In 2010, the education and administrative wing was added, and the left side of the sanctuary was opened up and renovated.
- In 2012, the fellowship hall and kitchen were renovated.
- The church voted unanimously in 2015 to build the Family Life Center.
- The Family Life Center was dedicated on Easter Sunday, April 1, 2018.
- The church completed the sanctuary renovation and expansion in the Summer of 2023.
What We Believe
We believe in salvation by faith through Jesus Christ. We trust in the authoritative, inerrant Word of God. We believe all Christians should be able to know what they believe and why they believe it. We believe the local church functions as part of the body of Christ across the globe, united to serve and reach the nations for His glory.